* November 13th, just as Mars enters Libra and begins its square to Pluto, a coordinated series of terrorist attacks are carried out in Paris.
* December 2nd, 14 people are killed in a terrorist attack at a facility for the mentally disabled in San Bernadino, California. Trump calls for a complete ban on Muslims entering the United States.
* During the period of the square a Nasa scientists report reveals that human-made carbon dioxide continues to increase above levels not seen in hundreds of thousands of years.
* An arrest warrant is issued for comedian Bill Cosby.
* A global climate change pact is agreed upon, committing all countries to reduce carbon emissions for the first time.
In all of the above, notice the major tensions that are present. Religious and political extremism, sexual abuse, rape and rape of the environment, etc.
Now let’s visit the next aspect of Mars and Pluto, which occurred between late September of 2016 and late October of 2016.
* Explosive devices are planted in New Jersey and Manhattan, the terrorist is captured in a shootout the next day.
* A state of emergency is declared in Charlotte, North Carolina after protests over the police killings of three black men in a single week.
* Trump and Clinton have their first live debate, and then the access Hollywood tape, “Grab em by the p@#$@” is released.
* The Obama administration accuses Russia of hacking the DNC.
* Samsung smartphones are exploding and recalled.
* A human mission to Mars is unveiled.
* James Comey says that the bureau has chosen to reopen its investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server in relation to the Anthony Weiner “sexting scandals.”
Notice again the same or similar themes repeating. Mars and Pluto catalyze, explode, detonate the powers of the collective unconscious. In this conjunction period, we see more religious and political violence and extremism, abuse of power and authority, violence and sexual abuse toward women, and in this case a few instances of technology that is a direct expression of Mars/Pluto.
After this, the next aspect between Mars and Pluto takes place during late January through February of 2017.
* Trump signs the first version of the travel ban. Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson secures a nationwide temporary restraining order on the ban from Judge James Robart.
* Trump nominates Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme court, effectively stealing a seat.
* Trump signs an executive order to scale back the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
* Betsy Devos is confirmed as the new US Secretary of Education.
* Multiple reports of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian begin to emerge.
* Nasa announces that a stat system has been discovered that contains seven Earth-sized planets, three of which are in “habitable” zones, and all seven have the potential to support liquid water.
* Police forcibly evict all remaining Dakota Access Pipeline protestors. Standing Rock movement is forcibly ended.
* Two Indian men are shot and killed in a hate crime that is tied to Trump’s rhetoric.
* Moonlight, a movie about a gay, black man coming to grips with his sexual identity wins the best picture.
Note again the way in which the period is defined by a surge of explosive events that reveal the powers of the collective unconscious. They are catalyzed by Mars: aggression, hostility, power struggles, violence, resistance, etc.
The next aspect is the most recent opposition between Mars and Pluto, which took place over the month of June 2017 and into July.
* Trump announces his intentions to withdraw the US from the Paris Agreement (climate change).
* Comey testifies before the Senate about conversations he had with Trump, who pressured him to drop an investigation into Michael Flynn.
* The ninth circuit court of appeals upholds a decision blocking Trump’s travel ban.
* House Majority Whip Steve Scalise is shot during a baseball practice.
* Robert Meuller is reportedly investigating Trump for obstruction of justice.
* The officer who shot Philando Castille is acquitted of all charges, creating a surge of demonstrations.
* A severe heatwave causes more than 40 American Airlines planes to be grounded. Denial of climate change abounds in response.
* More reports on Trump Campaign’s ties to Russia, specifically through his sons is released.
* Russian and China urge North Korea to halt its missile and nuclear programs after it successfully tests its first intercontinental ballistic missile.
* A terrorist attack levels the Great Mosque of al-Nuri in Mosul.
* Mosul is declared fully liberated from ISIL.
* The treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons is voted for at the UN.
* OJ Simpson, the infamous NFL star, is released on parole from prison after serving nine years.
* Sean Spicer resigns in protest at the appointment of communications director Anthony Scaramucci.
* Trump asserts his “complete power to pardon,” and then gives a highly politicized speech to a group of boy scouts. Soon after he says that Transgender people cannot serve in any capacity in the military.
I don’t make this long list today in order to scare people. We don’t need any evidence of what’s happening in the world any longer to know that we’re in a state of spiritual, ecological, cultural, and historic emergency. But it’s also easy to fall asleep and allow these patterns to become like white noise.
Personally, here is what was happening to me during those same periods, just so we can see that the same powerful periods of catharsis are present for us as individuals…
Nov/Dec 2015: I’m just finishing moving into my house and my daughter is born. Her birth is emergency induced after I did a horary that said she was in distress in the womb. We went to the hospital and indeed the tests showed that she was in distress and so my wife was induced into labor. Happy ending! 🙂
Sept/Oct 2016: My grandfather had just passed away and then my dog was hit and killed by a train near our house. A horary led me to the body of my dog. I began teaching horary classes, and began a horary apprenticeship project called “Project 588.” The location of our old yoga studio became compromised by a massive construction project and we began visioning ways to relocate.
Jan/Feb 2017: We are moving into the new studio location thanks to a successful fund-raiser.
June/July 2017: The death of my dog and the karma surrounding that event inspire me to become a vegetarian and begin a private yoga apprenticeship. I lose 45 lbs thanks to that initiative and eventually surrender the impulsively purchased “replacement” dog to foster care.
As this current square comes in, I anticipate the catharsis and catalyzing power of Mars/Pluto, and I welcome it. We are all here not only to define our lives by what we accomplish before we die, but also by the consciousness that we bring to all of our failures, all of our learning, and to the process of dying. Mars and Pluto dare us to say yes to these moments of heightened tension and transformation. It may feel like more is at stake during these moments, but when we recall our eternal nature, then this moment is no more or less eternal than any other.
Prayer: Empower us. Make us brave. Make us willing. Remind us that nothing can be added to or subtracted from our eternal nature.