There is so much in the air right now about communication. Different styles of communication. Different perceptions that lead to different kinds of conflicts. Beliefs and the nature of truth. Illusion and the victim or poor me state of mind. Excuses and manipulation. Patience, mindfulness, and affection. Compassion and intelligence. The list could go on.
Here’s a list of good questions to ask ourselves about communication right now:
* Am I slowing down and taking the time to be affectionate with the people I love?
* Am I constantly impatient, impulsive, busy, and always on the go?
* Do I tend to excuse myself too quickly from my commitments or responsibilities?
* Is there always a story I have in my back pocket to help me justify my poor decisions?
* Am I quick to judge and rush to conclusions?
* Do I always have to be right?
* Do I ever offer the olive branch first?
* Do I always have to have the last word?
* Does everything turn into a bigger issue when I get upset?
* Am I taking advantage of anyone, or am I being taken advantage of?
* Do I have any real commitments, beliefs, or practices?
* Do I finish the things I say that I will?
* Do I keep my word?
* Do I constantly open myself up to change, redirection, and guidance from the divine?
* Do I really listen to others and consider their point of view?
* Am I spending my time with the right kind of people?
* Do I actually show up in the conversations I’m having?
* Am I awake and alert, interested and engaged, if not then why..honestly?
* Do I believe what I’m saying when I say it?
* Do I consider multiple possibilities?
* Do I try to get people to feel sorry for me?
* Do I have trouble with authority or authority figures?
* Am I a student anywhere in my life?
* Do I know how to identify when someone knows more than me or has something to show or teach me, and if so do I listen without letting my ego get in the way?
* Do I let competition govern the way I perceive and communicate?
* Do I take the time to listen for the deeper meaning?
* Do I ask “why” or “what” things mean, or what events are “saying” on a deeper level?
* Do I take responsibility when I hear a voice that asks me to do some work?
The list of questions could keep rolling, but the point is simple. Who we are is so much about the art of communication. Whether we grow or not, spiritually, is also so much about the art of communication. It’s not easy for any of us to look carefully at these things because it’s so easy for our minds to be elusive, defensive, and independent to a fault.
Maybe one of the questions in the list above resonates more than another. Whatever it is, how can we grow up just a little more, accepting the task of spiritual maturity just a little bit more?
Prayer: Help us to listen the same way we speak, with the old ears of wisdom and the patient words of the time we’ve taken to think things over.