Moon in Libra topic for today…
Where does good judgment come from? Upon what experience or philosophical or intellectual or spiritual ground do we base difficult decisions in our lives? The Moon in Libra today is negotiating a small planetary mine field with a series of hard aspects all in a row. I ask this question as I’ve lately been visiting an interesting conversation with several friends/colleagues. We’ve been discussing how it is that one form of divination might help and another might harm. Is it something about the systems themselves, or is it about the practitioner, or some combination of both?
In my morning meditation I revisited a passage from the prophet Ezekial who denounced false prophesy, false divination, and the use of charms or magic devices for selfish purposes among the people of Israel. One thing that stands out in the passage is that Ezekial says that the reason these kinds of divinations, visions, and prophesies don’t work is that they don’t come from God but instead the wild imaginations of individuals. He suggests that the city of Israel is in ruins and that rather than repairing the walls these kinds of diviners and prophets are only painting the walls white as to look repaired. Regardless of whether or not you believe in the God of Ezekial, the passage is fascinating for a few reasons:
* Ezekial, an old testament prophet, is implicitly supporting forms of prophesy and divination..but only those that come from the divine
* The passage also points out that it’s nothing new for religious and spiritual communities to be saturated with prophets and diviners who only speak from their own imagination
Ezekial also says that it’s possible for bad divination to lead innocent people into unnecessary suffering when they should be hearing supportive divinations and to support wicked people who actually need correction from difficult divination.
The conversation I’ve been having privately has to do with whether the goodness of a divination comes from the practitioner or the system or some combination of the two. What factors of a system of divination provide a better anchor in truth and provide less room for personal subjectivity to dominate to the point of being detrimental to ourselves and others?
This probably isn’t a conversation that has a clear end point, just as surely as we know that the night sky extends far beyond what the naked eye can perceive, and yet it’s clearly a conversation that has clearly been taking place for as long as prophesy and divination have been around!
When I looked at the Moon in the sign of Libra this morning, approaching the difficult squares to Mercury and Pluto and the opposition to Uranus, it occurred to me that the conversation is also a conversation about good judgment or decision making in general.
Here’s a few things to look for:
* Debate or contention in relationships regarding how decisions are made or upon what objective grounds good judgement rests between people or within groups and collaborations
* What is the difference between personal opinion and the consideration of objective criteria in important decision making, justice, issues of fairness, legality, contracts, or negotiations of all kinds?
* How does personal experience qualify us or harm us when it comes to obtaining positions of importance or reputation
* By what standards do we hold ourselves accountable when it comes to things like intuition, imagination, art, taste, style, etc…are we aware of the hidden values or principles we hold when we say that something is just “our personal preference?”
* Do we believe in truth at all, or do we tend to say something like “truth is relative?” How does our perception of truth itself shape our decisions or relationships?
* To what standards do our relationships agree upon or submit to, or are our relationships troubling us because of differences of value or the lack of consistent/shared values??
Notice the presence of these questions, dilemmas, or lessons in your life today!
Prayer: Teach us discernment, so that our opinions, words, thoughts, and actions reflect our values. And give us the imagination to see the moving images of our values, as in a dream true to life.