Here’s what to watch for:
* A New Moon means a new beginning, and in the sign of Pisces with a trine to Jupiter, we are talking about a Jupiterian flavored new beginning, which means renewed faith and spirit, encouragement, optimism, confirmation, growth, proliferation, and enthusiasm.
* Look at the whole-sign house of Pisces in your chart, or the late degrees of Pisces (26-30) to find in what areas of life you will be experiencing this new beginning.
* Remember that while this combination brings a rush of Jupiterian energy to the forefront right now, it may also invite a certain level of pride, hubris, grandiosity, or inflated idealism. Remember that great enthusiasm runs out very quickly if we don’t find ways of holding, circulating, and constantly tending/filling it within.
* More on the Spring Equinox in the next few days, but just remember that even though today is a New Moon we are in the equivalent of a breakthrough and new beginning within the solar year, as well, so this Moon cycle will be especially powerful on the waxing side of the cycle, as the Sun crosses the zero Aries point.
* Keep in mind that for the next week, as Mercury and Venus continue traveling close together in the fierce, Mars ruled sign of Aries, they will also be approaching a square to Pluto. The tensions and stakes are rising higher right now for these two planets and will soon approach a place of critical mass, climax, and catharsis.
* While Mercury is a planet related to the mind, speech, technology, communication, information, and the intellect, Venus is the planet of love, relationship, harmony, beauty, sensuality, and desire. With both planets transiting the Mars-ruled, masculine fire sign of Aries, we should not be surprised if our inner life (our thoughts, feelings, and inner world) is pretty heated at the moment. The same goes for our relationships, jobs, and general social life. Harmony is there to be found right now, but now without some degree of confrontation, passion, and vigor.
* As these two planets reach a square to Pluto in Capricorn the tension will mount and we will finally reach a point of breakthrough. The breakthrough may resemble a death, an eruption of force, a release of pent-up energy, or the purging of something toxic and the cleaning and healing of a wound.
* Sometimes we try to soften the blow of Pluto by saying that Pluto provides regeneration and rebirth. This is true, but it’s also important to recognize that often Pluto represents nothing more than force, depth, and power, and not necessarily the good kind, just as Mars is sometimes about violence and not courage. For Pluto to be constructive in our lives we have to learn how to see every breakdown as something that could have, or maybe should have, been worse, as something that is offering us a lesson, and as something that is offering us an opportunity for healing, transformation, and reform or spiritual growth. If we don’t learn to see things in this way, then generally speaking our experiences of Pluto is no guarantee. A Plutonian transit may literally be nothing more than one more traumatizing experience after another…until at some point we are forced by the pressure of our own pressurized black hole to become a star again. So, with Pluto, it’s so much easier when we recognize in advance where the fault lines are forming and where the steam is coming up from the cracks. It’s so much easier with Pluto if we learn how to say “yes,” and submit ourselves to a transformational process.
* Finally, today Mars moves into Capricorn where it is exalted. Yesterday I covered this and other topics in depth in a Video Blog. Check it out on the home page of my website. This is a very productive sign for Mars, but Mars with Saturn and Pluto will also be intensifying the Saturn/Pluto dynamic quite a bit. Look to the whole-sign house of Capricorn in your birth chart for a deeper look at what areas of your life are receiving these influences.
* Remember, that while there is tremendous progress, work, discipline, and industry in Mars’ transit of Capricorn, it is also possible to get a little Machiavellian during this time (the ends justify the means). If it’s worth putting your full focus and determination into something, then it’s also worth doing in an ethical, considerate, and patient manner. Shortcuts aren’t shortcuts if they complicate things or cost you more time and energy in the long run. And remember, while this Mars is incredibly hard-working it is also very shrewd and can teach us a lot about how to make progress through better mental/spiritual discernment.
* Finally, remember, that all of these transits reflect a world that is always, in a sense “transiting.” So the point of all of this astrological mapping is to help us find contentment. When we know these forces are working their way through us, we may also foster a healthy distance from them. Astrology helps us to become steady, bright Moons, full of the reflective knowledge of the heavens that allows us to pass through this world with less manic reactivity. But reading astrology alone is not enough. Contentment is dependent on “content,” as one of my teachers likes to say. If you’re not putting good content into your mind and body, regularly, then you won’t find contentment. Astrology should be just one small portion of your spiritual diet, so to speak.
Prayer: Help us to restore and renew our faith and devotion, each and every day. Where there is conflict, bring us home to your peace. Give us eyes and ears to see the suffering in the world around us, so that we might speak only words of love and compassion.