* In the ancient Thema Mundi, the chart of the world, the signs of the Sun and the Moon, Cancer and Leo, were opposed to the temples of Saturn, Capricorn and Aquarius.
* Saturn was the archetypal “significator” of the opposition itself.
* The opposition depicts two planets looking at each other, facing a moment of maximal tension, the faster planet shifting from a position of separating to one of conjoining, just as the full Moon represents the transition between waxing and waning.
* When a faster planet reaches an opposition to a slower planet its as though its relationship to the slower planet is moving from one of individuation, or separation, to one of reuniting or return with it.
* Mars and Saturn separating reflect a time when wisdom and desire, action and maturity, are moving back toward one another after a time of separating or individuating.
* Insofar as Mars is either right action or selfish desire and Saturn wisdom or ignorance, the separation of Mars from Saturn represents the dynamic relationship between actions and wisdom or desires and ignorance over a symbolic period of time, or what we might call a “season.”
* When the two reach an opposition it’s as though we reach a critical mass point with regard to the relationship between our actions and desires and their relationship to wisdom or ignorance. It’s a moment of potential destructiveness as well as a moment for profound learning and wisdom.
* We learn much during this transit by seeing what’s worked and what hasn’t, what we’ve “gotten” from our actions and the ways in which the fruits of certain actions and desires have either added to the depth and power of love in our lives, or taken us farther off our path.
* Now, as the opposition is separating, we will begin to live with the consequences of our actions, and as ever we will be called to renounce our attachments to these fruits, even as we enjoy or suffer them.
* Now, as the opposition is separating, we may begin to refine our actions in the world, with deepening wisdom, or at the very least a deepening awareness of the power of our delusions, which in time may refine our actions.
* Mars and Saturn together, holy angels, are always by their heavenly cycle, now together, now opposed, and now rejoining, teaching us the secret discipline of loving, gentle, and joyful renunciation. Not a renunciation or denial or austere harshness. Not an outward display of spiritual accomplishment, but rather the loyal and devoted sacrifice we must give quietly but unwaveringly, just as we breathe and act and live, and so pleasing to the Gods, to the elements, and to the echelons of angels that usher our prayers to the secret places on high, that our sacrifices return to us with a smiling portion of eternity: our “real” daily bread.
* And so, in the end we find that Saturn’s deepest withholding is exactly that gap across which the divine sings to us and we call back in response. With such separation what else is there but the choice to finally understand the gap as the call to love? And in the end we find that Mars’ most powerful action is the application of all fiery desires back into the furnaces of love. With all our heart, mind, and soul, we sing the song of love.
Prayer: Be our friend. Call to us. Lead us to that joyful, gentle sacrifice and return to us your fierce and abiding love.