What to watch for:
* Mars entering Cancer means that Mars has entered the sign of its fall. It is exalted in the opposite sign of Capricorn, the sign of the winter solstice and place where the light starts slowly returning through the darkness. I like to think of Mars’ exaltation in Capricorn like the ideal conditions for Mars’ tenacious and willful qualities. The long, hard, battle upward, against the odds…this gets right to the heart of Mars. Whereas, since Cancer is the sign of the Summer solstice we see Mars in an environment of inevitable loss of light and decline. Mars is also a “hot and dry” planet and Cancer a “cold/wet” sign.
* Mars ruled things or themes are therefore weakened right now. For example it’s not uncommon to feel a lack of motivation or a feeling of weakness or ineffectiveness when Mars enters Cancer.
* Look at the Cancer ruled house in your birth chart to see where you might see the more difficult manifestations of Mars, but remember that each challenge we face is an opportunity to hear the voice of the divine calling to us. Each challenge is an opportunity to turn our hearts back to our love for the divine.
* Mars in Cancer can also manifest through things like water sports, danger or violence related to water, and it can also create challenges for lunar things like mothers, children, home, family, etc.
* Mars in Cancer is also notorious for manifesting as passive aggression, emotional outbursts, and difficult mental/emotional health issues in general.
* This Mars transit will be intensified by the fact that Mars is currently falling under the beams of the Sun and will be combust and will grow weaker and more vulnerable to the dominating power of the Sun, which will not conjoin Mars until the end of July. So this is a long and arduous path for Mars this summer.
* As Mars passes through Cancer it will also make a very intense series of aspects, to Jupiter, Pluto, and Uranus, so we will be revisiting this planetary transit quite a bit this summer. Finding it’s constructiveness, it’s beauty, it’s divinity, isn’t always easy, but it will be part of our task in the next weeks!
* Again, be sure to look at the Cancer ruled house of your birth chart. From the whole-sign house perspective, whatever number of sign Cancer is from your ascending sign, consider the transit to be taking place in that same numbered house (for example if you’re Gemini rising, then Cancer is your 2nd house because Cancer is the 2nd sign starting from Gemini).
* The last time the Sun moved slowly into a conjunction with Mars it was the late Spring (late May/June) of 2015. So each time this phase of the Sun/Mars dynamic takes place we see the weakening, death, and rebirth of Mars through the fiery chambers of the Sun. What’s unique about this transit is that it’s taking place in a place where Mars is also badly debilitated. So the death and rebirth motif here is potentially going to be quite powerful. Just remember, whatever is going down or providing us with difficulty, it is also happening “for us.”
* Sometimes people ask me, “Does the sky ever say anything positive?” And of course the answer is yes it does. But remember that astrology is reflecting back to us life in a world of impermanence, life in a world where things are constantly coming to be and passing away, life in a world that is perhaps experiencing a unique season of contraction, life in a world where happiness isn’t generally found in the things of positive or negative astrological transits but rather in our ability to recognize the eternal within everything and to take every astrological transit as an opportunity to return our hearts to love. So, are all these details about Mars rather difficult…sure..they can be, but more importantly, when we practice staying absorbed in love, then all of the above isn’t really here or there. It’s just part of the life we’re here to love, it’s just one more opportunity to love.
Prayer: Remind us to pray, and remind us when we pray to ask for the strength to love whatever challenges we’re experiencing.