Here’s what to watch for:
* With Mars square to Neptune you might be feeling drained, tired, exhausted, or worn out. You might feel like raising the white flag and saying, “I surrender already.” The effort, irritation, passion, and selfishness of Mars is being steadily dissolved by the transcendental waters of Neptune right now.
* On the other hand, Mars and Neptune square to one another can represent the heroism of the martyr, the sacrificial lamb, or the savior. Some degree of personal self-sacrifice might be necessary right now.
* What do we do if we don’t have faith, or we feel like difficult experiences are testing our faith? It’s easy to throw up our arms when we’re feeling the sting of defeat and say, “what’s the point?” It’s easy to say, “What did I do to deserve this?” It’s easy to say, “Why should anything be so miserable and difficult?” Faith isn’t about having the perfect answers to these questions. Faith is a multi-faceted response to our experiences that is practiced and cultivated over and over again. In faith, we return to gratitude first. In faith, we make ourselves small and we try to recognize that it’s only our big desires and expectations that make this moment insufficient. Really, we are okay. So, we take a deep breath, and we “trust” that this is so. The faithful response seeks out our own participation in the suffering we’re experiencing…not so that we can blame anyone but so that we can learn and grow from the pain we’re experiencing. We ask ourselves, “How did I participate in creating this situation?” The faithful response forgives. The faithful response dares to see beauty, joy, and mystery in sorrows. The faithful response takes failure as an opportunity to deepen spiritual life, and it is truly thankful and even joyful for the opportunity. Faith is an attitude that we cultivate, and it’s just like anything else, we have to practice it for it to become real and effective. Mars and Neptune are all about the testing of faith.
* Meanwhile, Mercury is cazimi with the Sun today, symbolizing a brief window of great empowerment for Mercury related things: books, reading, argumentation, debate, letters, communication, writing, information, media, messengers, translation, etc. It’s not uncommon to receive or share an important piece of news or information during Mercury cazimi periods, so watch for that this morning!
* By late tonight Mercury will then immediately enter Pisces where it is debilitated, in its “fall.” Whereas Mercury is a planet of analysis, argumentation, rationality, reason, etc., Jupiter (ruler of Pisces) is a planet of faith, confirmation, belief, and wisdom. Mercury often struggles in the sign of Pisces due to being in an environment contrary to its own nature. For example, Mercury in Pisces can reflect a lack of critical thinking or discernment, or it can signify manipulation, trickery, and deceit cloaked as certainty, dogma, wisdom, and so forth. On the other hand, Mercury in Pisces can also signify a rare glimpse into the intelligence of distant or transcendental subjects. Watch for these dynamics, and remember that real faith is intelligent. Real faith doesn’t require you to check your intelligence at the door.
Prayer: Give us faith. Teach us how to pray for faith if we don’t have it. Make us faithful even as we fail to be faithful.