An I Ching lesson on the approach of the Sun into the t-square between Jupiter, Uranus, and Pluto.
* Hexagram 24 is often called “Return,” and it depicts one yang line and five yin above it. Because the lines move from bottom to top, the hexagram is a picture of yang energy returning and climbing upward again.
* Hexagram 24 depicts the light returning after a period of darkness.
* My favorite translated, Alfred Huang writes of hexagram 24 that “This gua…displays the truth of changing. When things proceed to their extreme, they alternate to the opposite. Thus, after the period of falling away comes turning back. The light that has been banished returns. The change is not brought about by force, it accords with the law of Nature. The turning back arises spontaneously, like a bright spring returns after a severe winter.”
* Within the 24th hexagram the fourth line reads, “Walking in the central path. Solitarily turning back. Following the right way.”
* This line in particular depicts a person traveling with or being among corrupt people, bad influences, or mindless/thoughtless or ignorant masses. Along this path, the person finds his inner teacher, voice, or higher guidance, or he or she finds a wise and noble friend, someone that reminds them of what is right and what is true. The person therefore turns back from the road she is walking and returns alone.
* The line says nothing about whether or not this choice to leave the corrupt, sick, or bad influences will result in good or bad fortune, and most commentators say that one in this position cannot think about making deals, betting on a good outcome for a good conscience, or expecting anything at all from their decision to do the right thing. In fact, the only thing one can be sure of in t his position is that they will be vindicated on an inner level simply by doing the right thing. The rest is too early to tell, or it rests upon the attitude one takes as one returns to the right path, or the ability one has to maintain the spirit of return over a longer period of time.
* In the reading I did during my meditation this morning, hexagram 24 transformed into hexagram 30, called “brightness,” or “the clinging.”
* Hexagram 30 is made of the doubled trigrams, fire over fire. It is sometimes called “attaching,” or “clinging together.”
* Hexagram 30 depicts brightness attracting brightness, or brightness clinging to brightness.
* Hexagram 30 in this context is about the way that one person stepping forward or “returning to the right way,” may attract others to cling to the brightness and follow suit. The sequence may depict influence and how moral conscience invites others to join together in a common bond of brightness.
* Hexagram 30 in this context is also about what feeds or fuels brightness after a return from darkness. Fire clings to wood. Huang writes, “When falling into darkness, one is certain to attach to something. Thus, after Darkness comes attaching to each other and to Brightness.”
* There is a line in hexagram 30 that reads, “Raise a cow: good fortune.” The line refers to good fortune resulting from being able to have submissive, yielding, docile, gentle, and willing people in your service. Huang writes that “The Duke of Zhou tells how different kinds of people were dealt with in different ways. The policy was to kill the leader and not his followers. In this there was no fault.” Here, Huang is referring to the line about the raising of the cow, and he is suggesting that when large personal or governmental changes are being made and a return to proper principles is being sought that the transition back to light can be helped along by finding those elements or people who WERE serving the ignorance of a tyrant are now willing to “return” to proper principles or submit to the rightful/moral path or “ruler.”
When I sat down this morning and consulted the I Ching I asked, “What does the Sun walking into the t-square signify, both for each of us personally and collectively?”
Prayer: May we return together, without thought of ultimate victory, one over another. May brightness attach to brightness.