Here’s what to watch for, here’s what you might be feeling or wishing for, here’s some things you might not know…
* You might be feeling tired and worn down from everyone’s philosophical tirades, political and ideological rantings and ravings over the past three years….don’t worry the Saturn in fiery Sagittarius, Jupiter-flavored dogmatically-driven Jerry Spring show is now ending, and in its place, we will all dress in black and stone grey, become quite pagan for a few years, and watch as the lord of karma in her kick-ass grandmotherly feminine abode reaps her harvest with absurd humor and beautiful wisdom 🙂
* Capricorn was traditionally called an enigmatic and feminine sign…but get ready for people to mislabel Capricorn as a “patriarchal” sign for the next 2.5 to 3 years!
* Saturn is the ruler of time, but ancient mystics also believed that time itself was eternal, an archetype in an of itself…this is why Saturn is related to both the golden age, a mythical time of the perfect and ideal kingdom, as well as the eventual fall of the golden age. Saturn was once the King of the golden age but is also the old miserly tyrant King who is replaced by his son and ends up the “nasty old Saturn” we all love to complain about…he is our complaining about him as well as the memory of the good old days, as well as the golden age itself, as well as the fall from the golden age. Know time, know its seasons and cycles, and sit as its prisoner or as its companion. Know time, know its seasons and cycles, and sit as its master or its slave. In time, we are all things as all things move in cycles through time.
* The limit of time is not about duration. The limit of time is the fact that any season of time is itself limited, and limiting, to the extent that it cannot help but move and change, change and move. When these limits are understood, Saturn becomes an ancient telescope offering us a view of God. As Plato once said, “Time is a moving image of eternity.”
* Why do we say, “Saturn is the lord of karma?” We say it because time and action go together. The realm of karma is the realm of every-cycling cause and effect, through different seasons of time, never-ending. Universes living and dying, living and dying, innumerable periods of contraction and expansion, contraction and expansion, operating by cosmic laws that are, to a large extent, predictable, rational, and repeatable. Repeatable and repeating.
* When Saturn enters her home sign of Capricorn, the reality of karma, the reality of natural law, the reality of cosmic law, the reality of tooth and blood, bone and nail, hair and skin, time and space, rises up to meet our talk and our fantasies, our illusions and our dreams, our beliefs and our convictions.
* Earthy Saturn is a great teacher. Sometimes we say, Saturn is a “taskmaster,” but it might be wiser to simply say that Saturn encourages real, rather than false, mastery. Sometimes we are masters of ideas about ourselves. We are masters of ideas about the world and others. We are masters of imagination and fantasy. We are masters in our own minds. Saturn in Capricorn promises that none of this counts unless it is embodied. Saturn promises us that masters become slaves and slaves become masters.
* For those of us who live solely in fantasy and imagination, intellect and ideal, it is easy to imagine Saturn as some kind of harsh and unfeeling scolder…but Saturn’s lessons are not unfeeling, they are only different feeling. They are enigmatic. When we are called to task we feel most strangely, a strange intoxicating quiet comes over us, and in place of our chattering beliefs and certainties grows a deeper and more exotic shape. We become, for a time, like a stoic staring up at the open mouth of black space…imagination so much and so big there is no longer a future ahead of us…and definitely not the distractiong chatter of vision boards and faith statements….who can keep time at the outer limits of time itself?
* We think of the feminine, and “earth,” as something bound up here, but the earth is also cosmic. Earth is the vast extension of inhabited worlds and realms, filled with living beings. Earth is strange and full of even stranger things.
Prayer: Welcome Saturn, grandmother and grandfather, welcome home! Do strange things to us. Teach us what is real. Reap your harvest and show us to your view of eternity.