* The fall equinox happens as the Sun crosses the celestial equator while descending in its daily path in the sky, from summer solstice to winter solstice. The fall equinox is the gateway into the dark half of the solar year, where there is more darkness in a twenty-four hour period than light.
* The guardian of this gateway is the sign of the scales, a symbol of balance, judgment, and justice.
* As the Sun enters Libra, moving into the underworld, it is said to be in its depression or “fall.”
* The classic figure of lady justice is blindfolded.
* The underworld is the realm of the soul, of what is invisible, cloaked, shrouded, unconscious to us in the day.
* Libra is the planetary house of Venus. Libra is the exaltation of Saturn.
* We cannot take anything with us into the underworld, or in death. There is nothing to add to the soul, nothing that can be stripped away from it, and yet we enter the underworld naked as the day we were born.
* Real judgment, real beauty, real discernment, real balance, real wisdom is measured not in terms of external appearances alone…everything beautiful, every desirable, must be balanced against the truth of the heart, which often remains invisible.
* Vanity means being blinded by images, whereas love means seeing by means of images into the invisible realm of the heart and soul.
* Indecision often boils down to the discomfort we feel with doing the right thing when it doesn’t appear to be right to us, for one reason or another. Indecision is often the result of not trusting the invisible discernment of the heart, whose rules aren’t based in socially agreed-upon rules or images.
* Equanimity isn’t about walking around the world without emotion. Equanimity isn’t about the perfect tone of voice, the perfect dress code, or aesthetic, and it’s not about seeing all sides of something and remaining pleasantly neutral. Equanimity is about the invisible peace of the heart, flowing and guiding us through all different kinds of experiences, helping us to make all different kinds of judgments, and teaching us the loving art of affectionate but firm discernment.
As we pass through this equinox moment, Jupiter in the sign of the scales is in an opposition to Uranus in the Ram. But even revolution requires us to walk carefully and to walk in trust, not listening for a moment to the voice that would tell us to remove our blindfold and rush forward foolishly.
Prayer: Teach us the art of the invisibles. Teach us the prayer of the wise judge. Bring us to the dark chambers of the ever-present, all-seeing heart.