Today an I Ching Meditation on the Venus/Pluto opposition.
* The 58th hexagram of the I Ching is sometimes called “Joy” and it depicts two lakes conjoined with one another.
* The two lakes joined together is a symbol of friendship, and so at first glance hexagram 58 is about the mutual encouragement of the good between friends, colleagues, allies, lovers, and so forth.
* When powerful allies and friends come together, motivated by the same emotional convictions, deep bonds may form and great obstacles may be overcome together.
* Two lakes joined together is also the sign of emotional enthusiasm, optimism, and momentum.
* Venus in Cancer and Pluto in Capricorn, opposed to one another, may symbolize the organization, structuring, and implementing of all different kinds of relationships…relationships fueled by common emotional cores.
* On the other hand, Venus in Cancer opposite Pluto in Capricorn can also signify emotional dissonance. This transit may expose to us those relationships that cannot or will not bear fruit due to a superficial set of desires or intentions.
* Hexagram 58 is both about the deep and sincere emotional convictions that bring cheerful allegiances in life, where what we share is deep and true, versus those that simply feed each other in a parasitic symbiosis.
* Relationships rooted in shallow joys, comforts, habits, and desires may be exposed, uprooted, or eliminated during this time.
* Relationships forged in pursuit of particular desires, comforts, security, or pleasure, may find that they are no longer interested in or in need of whatever originally brought them together.
* On the other hand, discovering the emotional core of a relationship, what feeds our relationships and what sustains them, is also a possibility right now.
* Because hexagram 58 depicts two lakes conjoined, their waters flowing in and out of each other, we also have an image of breeding, creating, and multiplication in relationship to emotional currents and the power of desire. We literally create multiple new things as we pursue what we want or do not want, and our desire body has a way of multiplying the effects of our unchecked desires over time. Our desires and the need for various unhealthy forms of pleasure or security can eventually multiply and mutate until we are overwhelmed by something we initially thought we had under control.
* Hexagram 58 can also point to abundance and the healthy or emotionally exciting development and growth of something. Venus is also square to Jupiter right now, but with the opposition to Pluto it’s likely that at the very least and healthy and exciting growth that comes to us right now will come to us through some sense of common cause or mission…the presence of oppositional tension, in other words, will still be important.
Prayer: Teach us to recognize what truly provides us with joy, with real optimism, and with a real connection to others.